I’ll admit it: I’m cheap. I use coupons at the grocery store, cook most of my meals at home, and my favorite brand of clothing is Hand-Me-Down.
In short, I know how to save a buck. But when it comes to my cat, I go ahead and spring for the good stuff. Why? Because the cheap stuff just might KILL HER.
The following brands offer flea/tick preventatives that are cheap and available at discount stores nationwide. They are also known to cause sickness and even death in pets, especially cats.
hartzkills.org and hartzsyndrome.org are blogs started by concerned pet owners to warn others against using Hartz products. Testimonials by affected pet owners are posted often. If you want something more official, go to http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/hartz.html to see every complaint Consumer Affairs has received regarding Hartz products.
For complaints about Sergeant’s brand products, click here: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/sergeants.html
A long list of complaints about Sentry: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/sentry.html
For information about the toxicity of Bio Spot, click here: http://www.biospotvictims.org/
To be fair, I’m sure some pet owners have used these products without adverse effects, but the long list of animals who were harmed by these products is enough to keep me away from them.
For information about safe flea/tick prevention, go to greenpaws.org, which gives comprehensive information about every flea/tick preventative on the market with a safety rating for each.
Personally, I use Frontline on my cat because it came highly recommended by my vet. I have checked out Frontline’s complaint page, and it is quite short in comparison to the brands previously listed.
It is up to each pet owner to decide how to protect his/her pet from fleas and ticks. I recommend that you always consult your vet before putting chemicals, essential oils, or shampoos on your pet. Essential oils may sound harmless because they are “natural”, but remember, natural does NOT always equal safe. After all, poison ivy is natural too.
In short: do your research, consult your vet, and keep your furry friends safe!